Thursday, April 17, 2008

"Extreme" Commuting

When I speak I often talk about why we have so much "Stuff" and so little time. One reason we have less time is the amount of time that people spend commuting. People commute by bus, train, car, ferry, subway, bicycle and a lucky few walk to work. I'm in the New York area and I know that there are people who commute from the Poconos in Pennsylvania which is at least 2 1/2 hours away. So these people are spending 5 hours a day just commuting.

I recently found out that people who spend 4-6 hours a day commuting are called "extreme" commuters. I'm sure it is hard for extreme commuters to have a much of a life during the week. By the time they get home it's practically time to go to sleep to get up early for the next day's commute. So they can't spend much time with family let alone going through bills or getting things done around the house.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger CraftNchat said...

Hi, I suppose the people doing a lot of extreme commuting have no choice. It might be cheaper to commute from where they live. I suppose they can put the time to good use, like do knitting, studying or work on a laptop. A solution might be if they can spend a night or 2 either with a friend/work colleague who lives near work, or stay in a hotel, which costs money.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home