Saturday, November 08, 2008

Time Management

No matter what you think about Barack Obama, the president-elect, practically every article I read about him mentions his discipline and his ability to keep to a schedule. We may not be running for president but it is something we should all keep in mind.

I have often said that we all have 24 hours in a day, no matter if we deliver pizzas or if we're president of the United States. It's what you do with that 24 hours that matters.

I have never been a fan of people haveing absolutely every minute plotted out and no possible deviations from their time schedule but it's important to keep priorities straght and to keep in mind what we need to do that day, that week and that month.

I'm very much in favor of keeping a calendar and allocating an appropriate amount of time to do things. People chronically underestimate the amount of time needed for things. To figure out how long it actually takes you to do something time it. Do you think it takes you 20 minutes to do your bills and it actually takes one and a half hours? Maybe that's why you feel frazzled all the time. You're not allocating enough time for things. It's amazing how we think soemthing will take a half or a quarter of the time it actually takes. Especially things we don't want to do.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Our Journey to Africa said...

That was a great post. I'm a list maker and for quite a while now, beside each item on my list, I put an amount of time in parentheses. It helps me get an accurate idea of how long it is going to take me to complete my list. Very helpful. I, too, try not to stay so busy that I can't allot for things like surprise visits from friends or a few temper tantrums (with three boys, they're bound to happen!). Keep up the great posts!
~audrey

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home